In the September 2009 issue of Travel & Leisure, there is an article called, "30 Dishes Worth Traveling For." Of course you would have to be a hypertraveler to have tried more than a few of them.
What particularly caught me attention was the sidebar that they called Global Top 5 Under $5. Here they are:
* Duck-fat fries at Hot Doug's, Chicago
* Soup noodles with braised brisket at Kau Kee, Hong Kong
* Custard tart at Pastéis de Belém, Lisbon
* Poutine at La Banquise, Montreal
* Soup dumplings at Nanxiang Mantou Dian, Shanghai
Sorry, no mention of In & Out or Five Guys.
Has anyone tried any of these dishes? Are they worthy of inclusion? What are your top 5 under $5?
© 2009, Charles McCool